Asa S. Hami, Associate
Asa Hami has extensive experience representing debtors, creditors, trustees, and asset purchasers in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases and out-of-court restructurings. He has represented a broad range of clients, including real estate finance companies, national retailers, and professional services firms. Mr. Hami also represents clients in various commercial disputes in federal and state courts.Mr. Hami is a graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles and received his JD, graduating magna cum laude, from Southwestern University School of Law. While in law school, he was on the Dean’s List and a Dean Merit Scholar each year, and received the Southwestern Law Review’s “Bluebook Award for Outstanding Editing.
Southwestern University School of Law (JD, magna cum laude, 2000)
University of California at Los Angeles (BA, 1995)
State Bar of California, Insolvency Law Committee, Business Law Section (2012-2015)
Financial Lawyers Conference
Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
News & Publications
- Representation of the creditors’ committee in the Chapter 11 case of one of the largest publicly traded real estate companies in Los Angeles
- Representation of the creditors’ committee in the Chapter 11 cases of nursing facilities
- Representation of the creditors’ committee in the Chapter 11 case of one of the largest wholesale nurseries in the U.S.
- Representation of an individual debtor facing highly adverse creditors in Chapter 11
- Representation of manufacturer of asbestos products as a debtor in a Chapter 11 case, as well as in related multi-party, consolidated insurance coverage action
- Representation of purchaser of substantially all the assets of one of the largest independent producers of ice cream and water-ice novelty products in the U.S. in Chapter 11
- Representation of defendants in multi-million dollar fraudulent transfer actions
After working with his father in the “family business” of diamonds and jewelry—an industry his immediate and extended family was engaged in for over 30 years—Asa decided it was time to start something new and went to law school. Although it was a difficult decision to travel a different path, things have worked out. Given the long hours he spends in the office, it is clear that he enjoys practicing law (especially at a firm like SulmeyerKupetz), except, as is the case with any career, it doesn’t allow him to spend as much time as he would like with his wife, Ilana, and their children. In his little free time, Asa enjoys being home with his family, studying religious texts, and exercising.